Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pot Roast Report

That Sweet and Tangy Pot Roast was definitely a keeper.

Of course I didn't exactly follow the recipe. I just can't follow recipes. But my adaptation turned out melt in your mouth delicious, and we were happy to have the leftovers again for dinner tonight.

First, I don't get up early enough to do anything in the slow cooker. So a slow oven was my next best option and I started the roast by about 2:30 pm at 325 degrees so it would have plenty of time to get nice and tender, about 4 hours. I didn't have brown gravy mix so I added a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and I used 2 cups of water and 1 cup of beef broth, plus a good dash of red wine vinegar since I didn't have a box of wine handy and didn't want to open a bottle of red wine at 2:30 in the afternoon. About one hour before the roast was done I added 4 medium potatoes quartered, one onion cut in large chunks, and two whole garlic cloves.

I made a flour and water slurry to thicken the gravy and poured that in about 10 minutes before I took it out of the oven. Perfection.

I was also thinking that this recipe would work pretty well with a can of stewed tomatoes or petite diced tomatoes instead of the ketchup. It might not be quite as sweet, but with the red wine vinegar added it would be pretty good and maybe a few less calories, if you are counting those.

I am working on my Frugal Friday, check back for a few money saving hints and a link to more participants!

No comments:

Post a Comment